Monday, May 26, 2008

The Scent of a Woman

The Scent of a Woman By David Shriver

A few years back there was a movie by that title staring Al Pacino. I went to the movie and was sorely disappointed because I felt the script didn’t live up to the title. The writers had missed the point in a big way,of such a powerful title.
Wait --let me explain you’ve got to get where I’m coming from here.
Let me start where this is going to all connect.
You ever see the movie Ghost with Patrick Swazie and Demmi Moore?
OK then This will Make sense to you.
I met my wife The day of her High School graduation. After I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps and home from Viet nam. It was love at first sight and we were married Seven months later. We were madly in love and had Farmed ,worked together hand in hand, arm in arm, for ten years, working for our future together. Three months after we moved to Fort Myers She Was Diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and given Three months to live. My Wife passed away with Cancer when she was thirty one years old.
I was left with Three little girls and a memory.
In Ghost The feelings portrayed were so true and heart felt. To want more than anything in the world To touch her, to hold her, to kiss her, just one more time and it would be worth any price .
When I walked back into the house after the funeral, and walked into her closet, I could smell her on her clothes and I slid down the wall and wept,clinging to them.
When I met someone else the most difficult thing for me was the fact that she just didn’t smell right. She didn’t have that scent of comfort for me.Time has passed and New sights and new smells replace the old.
It has been over 23 years Ironic as it sounds but last Christmas when I gave my Youngest daughter a hug, It was like I was hit by a train. It was there, The same scent I had lost all those years ago, the unique smell of her mother. The same Scent of a women.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A deeply touching love story. Only I wish it was just a story and not a life experience. Part of her will always be here in your 3 little girls.
Mine was 40 when he was taken from me and our children. Another that only had 3 months. They left us to soon, leaving us to wonder about the pain and suffering part of this journey called life.